Sunday, August 28, 2016

The Sadness of Living out of a Suitcase

I indulged my book geekness today. I don't think I have ever walked more.

Daunt Books, Foyle's, Forbidden Planet, various secondhand bookshops, and the British Library. There's a certain kind of sadness about being a reader and knowing that you cannot buy books.


Daunt is a classic bookshop, all beautiful wooden built-ins and railings. They have an interesting way of organizing their international books: the middle photo shows Mexico, with the non-fiction(travel, history, art, etc.) on the top shelves, and fiction written by Mexican authors or taking place in Mexico underneath. Needless to say, very different from Chapters!


Foyle's is the Chapters of London, with this store being like the late Robson & Howe. Forbidden Planet is a Sci-Fi and Fantasy geek's dream; figurines, clothes, memorabilia, and lots and lots of books. There's a stretch of Charing Cross Road between Oxford St. and Leicester Square which has quite a few bookshops, more if you go down some side streets.


My requisite salute to HP followed my first tube trip. King's Cross and the way to the Express, then the British Library, which while beautiful, was too much a research library for me.


Regent's Canal and Camden Lock: very nice walk, although I wish I'd gone in the morning when I was fresh. By the time I got there, my feet and legs were burning and my phone was at 20% --

Note to self: don't forget the battery pack.

Camden Lock is like Pike Place Market in the summer, on the weekend.

I kinda wish I had a river boat though...

My generous hosts shared their dinner with me, and their special cheesecake, as an early birthday supper. I feel very lucky to have met these lovely people.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog - a day late. I love your photos - what fun!!

    Hope you have a wonderful birthday today and I look forward to pics of your special dinner . . . . ?
    Much love and safe travels xoxox

    ReplyDelete