Saturday, August 27, 2016

The Question of Culture and The Ultimate Vacuum of Time


Jet lag ate half my day.

I have no functional experience with jet lag; the last time I was in Europe, I was 11 and mostly on a train. I slept when I was tired and that was that. 

I had hoped that my "overnight" flight (which I nearly slept right through) would flip me over. Unfortunately, after 4 hours, I woke up at 1am and couldn't get back to sleep for a couple of hours. When next I woke, it was 1130. I have never slept until 1130, ever.

So, breakfast at 2, dinner/supper at 7, and 1/3 of Regent's Park in between. With a stop at the Doctor and the Detective's flat.





Also, Is there such a thing as "The Shock of No Shock"? What I mean is this: I am 7 time zones and 7500km away from home -- and yet, everyone speaks the same language, eats the same food, wears the same clothes, is experiencing the same weather...It very much feels like I stepped sideways into alternate version of home...there's a bit of waiting for the other cultural shoe to drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment